Moore County's Tips for New Military Families page

Tips for New Military Families


1. Enrollment Checklist - Download the Inbound Student Checklist - This will guide you through all the paperwork you will need to provide as part of the enrollment process. 

2. Enrollment Process - Begin the enrollment process by visiting the Enrolling Your Child webpage and following the step by step instructions. If you live out of state or do not have a permanent local address yet, please upload a copy of your PCS orders under the "Proof of Residency" section of the enrollment form (this is what allows us to remotely enroll military students per the N.C. General Statutes).

3. Confirm school assignment - MCS has a two year redistricting plan that may result in a school change for some students. Please verify your address under Step 1 on the Enrolling Your Child webpage. If you the address does not show up in the system, please contact the Moore County Schools Transportation Department at (910) 947-5481 to confirm your school assignment. 

4. Medical Documentation - Any student who is attending a NC Public School for the first time must submit a N.C. Health Assessment Form. Students also need to provide proof of immunizations signed by a physician. You can have your current physician complete the Health Assessment and print your immunizations prior to arrival in N.C. 

NC Health Assessment Form 

Required Immunizations

 5. Gifted, IEP, and 504 Services - If your child has been identified as gifted or received any kind of specialized instruction through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan, we will need copies of the documentation that makes the identification, full IEP/504 plan, and associated testing including medical testing. Elementary students with IEPs may be assigned to a school outside their districted area if their needs will be better served on a different campus. If you have questions about the school assignment for your elementary student with an IEP, please reach out to Sharon Honeycutt, Process and Procedure Specialist at (910) 947-2342 or District Military Liaison at (910) 947-2976.

6. Sports Physical - Middle and high school students wishing to play school sponsored sports need to complete a N.C. Sports Physical Form. Please make sure you complete the correct form for the school year in which you are enrolling. Forms can be found here.

7. Previous School Information - If you can provide your new school with the Name, Address, and Contact Information for your old school, this will help speed up the records request process especially when coming from overseas or out of state schools. It is extremely helpful if you know the name of the registrar or staff member that processes records requests. Don't worry if you are not sure of this information, our staff will find the appropriate contact if needed. 


1. New Student Orientations - Campuses usually offer a New Student Orientation for the family prior to the start of school. Dates are posted by mid-July so please check your assigned school's website for dates and times for orientation. New Student Orientation offers new students and parents an opportunity to see their school and meet school leadership prior to Back to School Night. 

2. Bus Transportation - If you child will be a bus rider, please let the school staff know this at the time of enrollment. Additionally paperwork will need to be submitted to add the student to a bus route which can take up to two weeks. 

3. Car Riders - Each school has specific pick-up and drop-off procedures. Please ensure you are familiar with your school's policies before your first day of school. 

4. Medication - If your child be taking medication during the school day or have access to medication on an as needed basis including, over-the-counter medication, you will need to complete a medication form. Complete details can be found here

5. School Hours and After School Programs - School Hours and drop-off / pick-up times may be slightly different between campuses. Current school and after school program hours can be found here. Most elementary schools offer an after school program. However, since the programs are self-sustaining, they are managed by the individual school and hours/registration may vary from campus to campus. Please contact your child's assigned schools for specific information. 
  • Moore County Schools
  • 5277 Hwy. 15-501 South, Carthage, NC28327
  • 910-947-2976
  • 910-947-3011
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.