Moore County's Scholarships page


Military-connected scholarships tend to fall into three categories - VA Benefits, Service-Connected, and Unit Affiliations. Students and parents should work together to identify all potential scholarships based on the service member's affiliations and VA status. 

The Fisher House offers a database for military-connected scholarships throughout the United States. The search can be customized based on the service member's military status and various affiliations including branch. The Fisher House Scholarship Search can be found here.


The Luke Joseph Ryan Veterans Center is located in room 120 of the Katharine L. Boyd Library at Sandhills Community College. Students attending SCC can talk to a Veterans Affairs Coordinator to learn more about VA Benefits through the Veterans Center. Click here or more information.


Students seeking to use GI Bill and Chapter 35 benefits should visit the VA website and complete their Certificate of Eligibility once they are accepted to a college. For more information, visit:

GI Bill 

Chapter 35 - Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)

Students using the GI Bill may also be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon on their college campus. Not all schools offer additional assistance through the Yellow Ribbon program nor are the benefits the same at each school. To learn about the Yellow Ribbon program for your college, click here to use the search tool or contact your school's financial aid office for complete details. 


Many scholarships are connected to the service members time in the military and may be branch specific. Additionally, there are a large number of scholarships that consider the service member's VA rating  as part of the scholarship process. When applying for these types of scholarships, students will most likely be required to submit a copy of the service members DD214 and VA documentation verifying the rating (if applicable). 


Unit or job specific affiliated organizations within the military are another source for scholarships searches. Service members that have worked within specific units (i.e. XVIII Airborne Division, JSOC, Special Forces) or in a specific career field (i.e. Aviation, Corps of Engineers) may have organizations connected to those units or careers that provide scholarships for children of former members. It is important for families to consider those connections when looking for scholarships.


The spreadsheet below is updated each fall with region scholarships for military-connected students. Deadlines are estimates and students should review the submission requirements early to ensure they have plenty of time to collect the necessary documentation for each scholarship.  If students have questions about how to apply for scholarships or need assistance, they should contact their Scholarship Coordinator at their high school. Military specific questions can be directed to the District Military Liaison. 

  • Moore County Schools
  • 5277 Hwy. 15-501 South, Carthage, NC28327
  • 910-947-2976
  • 910-947-3011
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.