Moore County's Enrolling FAQ page

Enrolling FAQ

How do I enroll my child for Pre-Kindergarten?
Information is available about registering for Pre-Kindergarten on the Preschool website. There you will find enrollment and admission eligibility information and directions about how to apply for NC Pre-Kindergarten and resources for parents.

How do I enroll my child for Kindergarten?
To pre-register for Kindergarten, click here and complete the online registration form. Once the form has been submitted, your child's school will call you within three business days. Please note that any child who will enter kindergarten in the 2023-2024 school year must be five years of age on or before August 31, 2023.

What documentation do you need to register?
Parents/guardians should bring with them the following documentation to their registration appointment:

  • Birth certificate or other proof of age;
  • Immunization record (originals from the doctor or health department);
    More detailed information is available by reading the State-Required Immunizations for Entry to Moore County Schools. Questions and further clarification of immunization requirements may be directed to Lisa Keiser, school health program manager, at 910.690.2238.
  • Health Form;
    Any new students enrolling in any North Carolina Public School for the first time, regardless of age or grade, must have the North Carolina Health Assessment Transmittal Form completed by a health care provider and parent/guardian. The Health Assessment Form must be submitted to your child's school within the first 30 days of school. If you are relocating from out of the area, your current provider can complete the form before you move to Moore County. More detailed information is available by visiting Required Health Assessment for School Entry.
    • Students that have never attended a North Carolina Public School enrolling from an out-of-state school, an in-state private school, faith-based school, home school, alternative (non-NC public) school, or Department of Defense school must complete the Health Assessment Form along with a Certificate of Immunizations and present this information to the school within 30 days of enrollment.
  • Proof of domicile (current utility bill or purchase agreement with a down payment);

What if my name is not on my child's birth certificate?
You will need to provide proof of legal custody or guardianship, if you are not the parent.

What should I bring from my previous high school?
New students should provide copies of high school transcripts, previous testing, or any other documentation that would assist with course placement as soon as possible to their assigned high school counselors. Students are assigned a counselor based on their last names. Counselor information can be found on the individual school websites - High Schools.

What if I'm not the student's parent/legal guardian?
If your child is living with someone other than his or her legal parent/guardian, you will need to complete both forms below, have them notarized, and return them to your child's school.  The school will then send them to the Office of Student Support Services for review. The affidavits must be approved by Student Support Services before a child can be enrolled.

What if I cannot provide proof of domicile?
If your family does not own property or have a utility bill in your name because you share a residence, you will need to complete both forms below, have them notarized and return them to your child's area school. The affidavits must be approved before a child can be enrolled.

My child requires medication during the school day. What do I need to know?
Effective July 1, 2016, all medication, prescription and/or over-the-counter drugs that parents want given at school must have a physician order accompanying the medication to school. Additional forms will need to be completed and returned to your school nurse. More information is available by visiting Parent Information About Medication Administration.

My child would like to play a school sport. Do they need a sports physical?
Yes, students in Grades 6-12 who wish to play a sport outside of a Physical Education class will need a NCHSAA Sports Physical Form completed by a doctor within the past 12 months. Please make sure you use the Sports Physical Form for the school year in which the student will play sports. If you are relocating, you may have your doctor at your current location complete the physical prior to arriving. Detailed instructions can be found on the Sports Physical Form webpage.

Can my child go to a school outside our districted area?
No, schools are assigned based on a student’s home address. However, there are unique circumstances that may permit a student to attend a school outside their districted area. More information about transfer criteria can be found by visiting Transfers and Discretionary Admissions.

My child receives specialized support (IEP & 504 Plan) at their current school, does MCS offer the same services?
Moore County Schools is dedicated to providing a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) that will meet the diverse needs of our students' with disabilities and reviews all IEPs and 504 Plans for incoming students to ensure appropriate placement and continuation of services. Parents should provide schools with a copy of the IEP or 504 Plan with all testing documents as soon as possible to facilitate a smooth transition for the student.

Elementary students will be enrolled in the school that will best support their individual needs. Parents of children in grades K-5 prior to enrolling should contact Dr. Kaitlin Yourous, Exceptional Children Process and Procedure Specialist at [email protected] to confirm their student’s school locations. Students in Grades 6-12 with IEPs and students with 504 Plans will be enrolled in their districted schools. More information is available through Exceptional Student Services

My child missed the birthdate deadline to start kindergarten.  Can they start kindergarten if they turn five in early September?
A child must be 5 years old on or before August 31, 2023, in order to start kindergarten in the 2023-2024 school year.  This deadline date is determined by the state of North Carolina.  If you have a child who doesn't meet this threshold, and you are interested in learning more about early admission to kindergarten, please go to the "Advanced Studies" link on our "Academics" page.

We are a military family moving to Moore County. Can we begin the enrollment process before we arrive?
Yes, Moore County Schools allows inbound active duty families to enroll online when they provide a copy of their military orders in accordance with N.C.G.S § 115C-366

However, students are expected to attend their districted school so it is important that you choose a home in the area assigned to your child’s new school. In the event that you move into a home outside the districted area for your child’s school, your child will be transferred to the assigned school for your address. You will also be asked to provide proof of residency once you have arrived. For more information on military specific student support, contact Erica Funk, MCS District Military Liaison, at [email protected] 910.947.2976 Ext. 100286.
  • Moore County Schools
  • 5277 Hwy. 15-501 South, Carthage, NC28327
  • 910-947-2976
  • 910-947-3011
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.