Moore County's Parent Information About Medication Administration page

Parent Information About Medication Administration

NewMCSEffective July 1, 2016, all medication, prescription and/or over-the-counter drugs that parents want given at school must have a physician order accompanying the medication to school. The Request for Medication Administration in School Form (Spanish) must be filled out in its entirety, on one sheet of paper with the front page being the physician order, and the back, the parent authorization. Medication of any type must be brought to school by the parent/guardian in the original container with the Request form Medication Administration at School completed by the physician and the parent/guardian.

If your child must have medication of any type, including over-the-counter drugs given during school hours, you have the choices described in theLetter to Parent Regarding Administration of Medication at School (Spanish). As a parent, it is very important to know that school personnel will not administer any medications to student unless the conditions described in the letter above are met.

Meeting Health Needs During School
In order to best care for children during the school day, the school nurse must be aware of health concerns that exist. Parents are asked to complete a health history when they enroll their child in Moore County Schools. Please contact the school nurse any time during the year when there are changes or newly developed health conditions. Communication is the key to making sure students' health needs are met during the school day. Remember: Healthy Children Learn Better!

The school nurse uses the information from the health history to identify which students need Care Plans/Emergency Action Plans during the school year. The plan tells the nurse and staff how to care for a student's medical condition during the school day. The plan is developed by the nurse with input from the parent/guardian and at times the student's doctor. Examples of students' who need plans would be those with asthma, diabetes, cerebal palsy, sickle cell disease or migraine headaches.

Medications During School
For students who require medications at school, please refer to Moore County Schools Board of Education's policy 3260/4260 Administration of Medication and 6401.Rule 22: Narcotics Beverages, Controlled Substances, Chemicals and Drug Paraphernalia for complete information. Each principal shall determine which employees will administer medication.

Also important to parents, Required Health Assessment for School Entry.

  • Moore County Schools
  • 5277 Hwy. 15-501 South, Carthage, NC28327
  • 910-947-2976
  • 910-947-3011
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.